The West of England Genomic Medicine Centre has appointed a core team to help support the region and to deliver the aims and objectives of the programme. Please feel free to contact members of the core with queries related to the WEGMC at our central email address ubh-tr.WEGMC@nhs.net.
Andrew is a Consultant in Haematology at University Hospitals Bristol within the adult haemophilia and benign haematology services. Andrew is also a Reader in Haematology at University of Bristol and the Bristol chief investigator for the NIHR BioResource rare diseases. He leads a research group with interest in the genetic basis of rare bleeding and platelet disorders.
Catherine is full time in the role of Programme Manager for the West of England Genomic Medicine Centre. Previously Catherine worked as the Cancer Manager at North Bristol NHS Trust and prior to that spent six years as the Research Network Manager for the Avon, Somerset & Wiltshire Cancer Research Network which was part of the National Institute for Health Research Cancer Research Network.
Lead Genomics Practitioner
Amanda is a genetic counsellor with the Bristol Clinical Genetics Service, with a focus on hereditary cancers, prenatal genetics and neuromuscular conditions. She has also coordinated local recruitment of patients to the Deciphering Developmental Disorders (DDD) study. Amanda has previously worked as a laboratory genetic counsellor in Toronto, Canada, with experience interpreting and reporting genetic variants.
The core team is supported by a dedicated implementation group who have taken on designated roles in order to support key aspects of the WEGMC’s work programme. This group is comprised of:
- Professor Aniko Varadi, Workforce Development Group, Co-Chair
- Mr James Bristol, Interim Cancer Clinical Lead
- Dr Eileen Roberts, Workforce Development Group, Co-Chair
- Janet Burrows, Performance and Contracts Lead
- Maggie Williams, Laboratory Lead
- Hildegard Dumper, Patient and Public Involvement Lead
- Professor Ruth Newbury-Ecob, Rare Diseases Clinical Lead
- Sabrina Lee, Communications Lead
- Steve Gray, Informatics Lead
- Melanie Watson, Education and Training Lead
- Aileen McLoughlin, Genomics Informatics Lead
- Rob Spate, Management Assistant